Zamboanga’s Sweet Knickerbocker

The first time I had a taste of the knickerbocker in Zamboanga City, I learned what the hoopla was all about. People had been raving about this sweet dessert, and having a sweet tooth, I absolutely loved it!

Zamboanga dessert

A sweet treat from Zamboanga.

The knickerbocker is made of a mix of fruits (slices of mango, banana, apple, and watermelon), gelatin, shaved ice, and sweet milk, with a scoop of ice cream on top. It doesn’t look much, but it’s actually very sweet, so much so that even if I had easy access to it, I would only eat it once a year.

Available in Paseo del Mar and in the Palmeras Restaurant along Pasonanca Road in Zamboanga, the knickerbocker is claimed to be a healthy dessert. I agree that it can be healthy; that is, if the sugar and the ice cream and the sweet milk were not included! As it is, it’s too sweet to be called nutritious.

Palmeras Restaurant, Zamboanga

The knicker bocker is available in Palmeras Restaurant.

Still, I would recommend the knickerbocker to anyone who loves sweets; you have to taste this at least once in your life. Due to the high demand, it has already been made available in Metro Manila; just look for it in SM Megamall and SM North Edsa food courts. A serving of knickerbocker (at least in Zamboanga) costs P70.

6 thoughts on “Zamboanga’s Sweet Knickerbocker

1. February 13, 2013 at 9:24 pm

tasted it at paseo del mar but it was okay with me. not uber sweet, really. 🙂

2. February 13, 2013 at 10:00 pm

@ Estan: I’m glad. That means my threshold for sweet stuff is lowering! I have tried it in both Paseo and Pasonanca.

3. February 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

it looks good without the gelatin. i like the fruit mix, shaved ice, milk and the ice cream on top. i can probably make this myself without the gelatin. looks like a fruity ice cream sundae.

4. February 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm

mukhang masarap! hay kung bakit wala akong official travels sa Zambo now! Haha! thanks for sharing!

5. February 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm

@ Fifi Leigh: Yeah, I’ll try making it at home too. Seems simple enough 😀
    @ Ding: It doesn’t only look delicious, it tastes delicious too! You should totally try it out.

6. Aran
    April 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm

In my 4 days stay in Zamboanga last year. I never failed to dropped by in Paseo just to buy it hahaha!