Hayahay from Mariveles, Bataan

Around two weeks ago, the extreme adventure group I’m a part of went to Mariveles, Bataan to rappel the 110-meter rocky Mt. San Miguel. Bataan is around three hours by bus from Manila, and the campsite was right in the village of Barangay Sisiman. We brought tents and some of us brought their own cookset. However, majority just went to the neighborhood stores for our meals.

lumpia wrapper

Hayahay (fried lumpia wrapper with milk) ready to be sold.

Quite near the place where we eat is a small stall in front of the elementary school. My friends and I were wondering what they sold; it looked like a crispy piece of something with condensed milk garnished on top of it. Curious to see and taste what it was, we bought one. And got hooked.

This is called hayahay, a snack which the vendor just imported from her province. Making it is quite simple: fry a piece of lumpia wrapper and put garnishing on top of it when it’s done. They use condensed milk, and sometimes even candied coconut.

Making the street food

Hayahay the street food is really easy to make!

hayahay

Unhealthy? Maybe. Delicious? Definitely!

This street food is really fattening, and yeah, maybe unhealthy. Munching on one after every meal, I vowed to just do my running regularly. Missing out on the hayahay is not really something I would want to do when I’m in Bataan.

8 thoughts on “Hayahay from Mariveles, Bataan

1. Jen
    June 18, 2012 at 1:11 am

Very Nice, I tried it at home and my kids loved it! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. aravis
    June 19, 2012 at 12:26 am

Fry it in butter and make it even more decadent!

3. June 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

@ Jen: Didn’t cook it at home. Too sinful haha
    @ Aravis: You don’t recommend olive oil? ๐Ÿ˜‰ How was the one I gave you, btw?

4. aravis
    June 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Not olive oil for sweet food. It’s still in the fridge! Salads aren’t too popular during the rainy season. I don’t want to heat it for cooking—sayang.

5. June 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

@ Aravis: Mine is almost gone ๐Ÿ™ I just use it for salads. I wonder what the difference is in taste with the EVOO we can buy here?

6. August 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

That is one cheap street food…. pero mukhang click yan sa mga bata kasi mura and matamis.

7. September 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm

@ Titus: Yup, it’s sold in front of the elementary school and it’s a really big hit with kids there!